From MTV OMA to today’s news about DOMA (or lack thereof), it’s been a great, action-packed 7-days across Viacom. Or to borrow from one of our children (VH1), we had a Best Week Ever, and felt like it was worthy of sharing some of the highlights in pics (above) and synopsis (below).
- MTV brought its fourth iteration of the O Music Awards, the network’s celebration of the convergence of music, tech and fans, hosting a festival’s worth of musicians right in Viacom’s own storied 1515 Broadway headquarters in NYC. The 24-hour show was live streamed and culminated in a new world record for longest drum solo in a retail store, set by musician/performance artist/professional partier Andrew W.K.
- MTV’s global music brand, MTV Iggy, and Intel kicked off “The Music Experiment 2.0,” a themed concert series for fans who engage online to score tickets to exclusive shows. Australian band Empire of the Sun put on the inaugural show on Thursday. Fans traipsed into the elaborate Gotham Hall in NYC in costumes – body paint and head dresses galore – to fit the “Cosmic Masquerade” theme of the evening. Makeup artists were on hand for anyone who wanted elaborate makeup.
- Meanwhile, the opening of Paramount Picture’s World War Z was met with resounding approval this weekend, even amid solid competition. Worldwide, the post-apocalyptic/action flick (plus zombie thriller) starring Brad Pitt brought in more than $125 million at the box office. The NYC premiere was held in Times Square last week, where Pitt walked a “Z”-shaped red carpet and signed autographs for the thousands of fans that gathered round.
- Across the ocean and in the South of France, at the Cannes Lions Festival of International Festival of Creativity, Philippe Dauman, President and CEO of Viacom, hosted an exclusive party at a magnificent fortress overlooking the Mediterranean. The private event was attended by leaders from top media agencies and brands, and featured a special performance by Jennifer Hudson. Keeping with the conference’s theme of creativity, we also shared a special report, the Zeitguide, on the ways we shape and share culture.
- Last but not least: Catfish is back.
More Best Weeks Ever to come, as we get ready for the Music Group’s cross-brand initiative “Music Independence Day” and the first-ever BET Experience this weekend…