When it comes to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender visibility, Viacom is out and proud. This week seven Viacom brands received nominations for the 26th annual GLAAD Media Awards which honor outstanding images of the LGBT community in the media.
- Outstanding Documentary: Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word (Logo / MTV)
- Outstanding Documentary: From Russia With Love (Epix)
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Faking It (MTV)
- Outstanding Drama Series: Degrassi (TeenNick)
- Outstanding Reality Series: Make or Break: The Linda Perry Project (VH1)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: “Coming Out” – Nick News with Linda Ellerbee (Nickelodeon)
This marks the first nominations for both Nickelodeon and Epix. Viacom’s nominations brought stories of transgender youth, international LGBT equality, homeless LGBT youth, and several other LGBT issues to our audiences.
Laverne Cox and the transgender youth featured in “The T Word,” the Logo and MTV documentary, were also nominated in the Outstanding Talk Show Episode category for their appearance on The View to discuss the documentary.
“From LGBT youth coming out to their families on Nick News to TV’s first intersex main character on Faking It, Viacom’s nominations this year brought often overlooked LGBT issues to truly diverse audiences,” said GLAAD President & CEO Sarah Kate Ellis. “Stories like these have the power to not only entertain and inform, but highlight the common humanity that we all share.”
Award winners will be announced in Los Angeles on March 21 and in New York on May 9.
Congratulations to the teams behind all of the nominees!