Along with Fox Networks Group and Turner, we are pleased announce OpenAP, TV’s Advanced Audience Platform. Founded by a consortium of television publishers and operated by a leading, neutral third-party auditor, OpenAP is the television industry’s first open platform for cross-publisher audience targeting and independent measurement.
The letter can be viewed below.
“The evolution of television has brought new advances in audience targeting across premium publishers, which is enabling advertisers and agencies to drive more efficiency and more effectiveness with their TV budgets.
While demand for audience targeting has grown significantly, adoption has been limited by the fact that audience buying is not as transparent, as consistent and as easy as traditional guarantees. It doesn’t need to be that complicated. That changes today.
Today, we are proud to introduce OpenAP, television’s first-ever open audience platform. Founded by a consortium of television publishers and operated by a leading independent auditor, OpenAP will deliver cross-publisher targeting and independent measurement for advanced audiences.
This means consistently defined audience targets can be activated across any OpenAP member publisher. It means truly independent measurement and reporting by design, not just reactive third party verification. It means an open platform that supports industry-standard measurement sources and data, not just proprietary, walled-garden, self-governed reporting. It is consistent matching for an advertiser’s custom first-party audiences in the development of cross-publisher media plans.
OpenAP will be a single platform that agencies and advertisers can integrate with their own planning systems to activate advanced audience targeting and independent measurement within premium content. That premium content reaches 93% of all television audiences today, and we hope it will expand if additional publishers join OpenAP in the future. This consortium is a necessity to move our industry forward.
On Friday, April 7, the three of us will gather and share more information about OpenAP with agency, client and media influentials across our industry. We have never been more excited about the future of television and look forward to sharing more with all of you.”
|Joe Marchese||Donna Speciale||Sean Moran|
|Fox Networks Group||Turner||Viacom|
Additional information about OpenAP will be provided at an event hosted by Fox, Turner and Viacom next month.
Q. What is OpenAP?
A. Founded by a consortium of television publishers and supported by a leading, neutral third-party auditor, OpenAP is the television industry’s first open platform for cross-publisher audience targeting and independent measurement.
OpenAP delivers a solution that is a step change for the industry, supporting sophisticated data-driven marketing, while preserving the integrity and transparency of television buying and measurement.
Q. Why was OpenAP created?
A. Within our respective companies, we were at the forefront of the evolution of TV, creating advanced, data-driven products that helped advertisers move beyond basic demographics and into advanced audience targeting. However, while demand for audience targeting has grown significantly, adoption has been limited by the industry’s failure to make audience buying as transparent and easy as traditional guarantees.
OpenAP was our response to a clear industry need that required collective action.
Q. How does OpenAP work?
A. OpenAP activates a client’s custom audiences across the entire portfolio of participating television publishers:
- Consistent cross-publisher segment definitions – onboard, match or fuse data for consistent audience definitions that can be applied to multiple publishers
- Secure segment sharing and management– using a single platform that is secure and privacy compliant, agencies and advertisers can share custom audiences across publishers to allow for convenient management of campaigns and segments
- Independent third-party measurement – agencies and advertisers can access cross-publisher post-reporting against your custom audiences, with independent measurement
Q. How does OpenAP benefit agencies and our clients?
A. Agencies and clients will benefit from
- Consistently defined audience targets can be activated across any OpenAP member publisher
- Truly independent measurement and reporting by design, not just reactive 3rd party verification
- Support for open, industry-standard measurement sources and data, not just proprietary, self-governed, walled gardens
- Cross-publisher activation of agency and client-defined, 1st-party or proprietary audiences
- APIs for integration into agency and advertiser planning and reporting systems
- Activation of advanced targets on OpenAP publishers within premium content that collectively reaches 93% of television viewers as of OpenAP’s launch
- Secure infrastructure for sensitive advertiser segments managed by world-class auditor
- Agencies and Advertisers get direct access to the platform at no charge by OpenAP